The use of cement in concrete production is a major contributor to carbon pollution, accounting for nearly 10% of global emissions. However, a new innovation in concrete technology could change that. Scientists have developed a type of concrete that actually removes CO2 from the atmosphere. This breakthrough could have a significant impact on reducing carbon emissions and making concrete production more environmentally friendly.
- Cement, a key ingredient in concrete, is responsible for nearly 10% of global carbon pollution.
- Scientists have developed a new type of concrete that removes CO2 from the atmosphere.
- This breakthrough could have a significant impact on reducing carbon emissions.
- The new concrete technology uses a process called carbonation to capture CO2 and turn it into a solid mineral.
- The captured CO2 is permanently stored in the concrete, making it a carbon-negative material.
- This carbon-negative concrete could be used in a wide range of applications, from buildings to infrastructure projects.
- The new concrete technology is still in the early stages of development, but it shows promise for reducing the environmental impact of concrete production.
Concrete is a widely used material in construction, but its production comes at a significant environmental cost. The development of carbon-negative concrete is a game-changer that could revolutionize the construction industry. By capturing and storing CO2, this innovative technology has the potential to make concrete production more sustainable and help combat climate change. It’s an exciting step towards a greener future.
The development of concrete that removes CO2 from the atmosphere is a significant breakthrough in the quest for more sustainable construction materials. By addressing the carbon emissions associated with concrete production, this innovation has the potential to make a real impact on reducing global carbon pollution. As the technology continues to develop, it will be interesting to see how it is adopted and integrated into the construction industry. The future of concrete looks greener and more environmentally friendly.
Original article: https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/19/rick-fox-gets-concrete-about-planet-friendly-cement-at-disrupt-2023/