In The News
Twitter users are flocking to Mastodon, an open-source alternative to Twitter, as concerns grow over the direction that new owner Elon Musk is taking the platform. The surge in usage numbers for Mastodon came after Twitter rebranded to ‘X’, a change that is already live on the website. Since October 2021, Mastodon has seen a significant increase in new users, with over 2.2 million new accounts created.
Mastodon is a decentralized social networking platform that allows users to create their own communities, known as instances, and connect with users from other instances. It offers a similar experience to Twitter, with features such as posting updates, following other users, and engaging in conversations. However, Mastodon operates on a different model, where each instance is independently operated and has its own rules and moderation policies.
The surge in Mastodon’s popularity can be attributed to several factors. Firstly, the concerns over Twitter’s future under Elon Musk’s leadership have led many users to seek alternative platforms. Musk’s controversial tweets and his influence over Twitter’s policies have raised questions about the platform’s commitment to free speech and its ability to protect user privacy.
Secondly, Mastodon’s open-source nature appeals to users who value transparency and community-driven development. Unlike Twitter, which is owned by a single company, Mastodon is developed and maintained by a global community of volunteers. This decentralized approach ensures that no single entity has control over the platform, making it less susceptible to censorship and manipulation.
Lastly, Mastodon’s instances-based model allows users to find communities that align with their interests and values. Each instance can have its own set of rules and moderation policies, giving users more control over their online experience. This flexibility has attracted users who are looking for a more personalized and curated social media experience.
Top things to Know
– Twitter users are migrating to Mastodon, an open-source alternative to Twitter, due to concerns over the platform’s future under new owner Elon Musk.
– Mastodon has seen a surge in usage numbers, with over 2.2 million new accounts created since October 2021.
– Mastodon is a decentralized social networking platform that allows users to create their own communities, known as instances, and connect with users from other instances.
– The surge in Mastodon’s popularity can be attributed to concerns over Twitter’s commitment to free speech and user privacy under Elon Musk’s leadership.
– Mastodon’s open-source nature and community-driven development appeal to users who value transparency and independence from a single company.
– Mastodon’s instances-based model allows users to find communities that align with their interests and values, giving them more control over their online experience.
Original article: https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/24/what-is-mastodon/